“For everything there is a season, and time for every matter under heaven.”
– Ecclesiastes 3:1
I love new seasons. 2016 was a challenging season and while I am thankful for all of the blessings that came out of it, I am glad that this season is ending and a new one is beginning. Once again, I will have the opportunity to live abroad and teach English. I am so incredibly thankful that the Lord is allowing me to return, but I also find myself pondering over how to respond and prepare for this new season.
So how do you prepare for a new season? I have to admit, I’d never given it much thought but one of my goals this year is to be more intentional. It’s a chance to make resolutions and reflect on lessons learned.
- Pray – this is obvious but it’s important to pray for guidance and discernment when you’re entering a new season. Other common things to pray for:
- Moving: pray for godly friends and a church community
- Marriage: pray for good and godly married couples for friendship and mentors
- Starting a family: pray for strength and patience. Pray for support. I also hear it would be a good idea to pray for rest J
- Study the Word – this is another obvious one but it’s important to spend studying and reading the Bible. This is a common way the Lord chooses to speak to us.
- Fast – give up food? This is a tough one for me but the more I have researched and learned about it, the more I understand the importance of fasting. There are two options for fasting: a Daniel fast and a liquid fast. I suggest that you research these two and pray about which one works for you. It is critical to understand that a fast is considered an oath to Lord and should not be taken lightly.
We would love to hear what you all do at the beginning of a new season or the end of an old one.